07 September, 2005

Project Death Spiral: grenade without a pin

I break the news to Sluggo that I'm leaving. His reaction is not what I'd expected - I expected he'd mutter and curse for a while because of the impact on Project Death Spiral. Instead he seems excited and happy, and I don't think it's just because he'll be rid of me in a few weeks, because he's not that good an actor. He's positively effusive in telling me what a smart decision it is to get away from here, how it's the best thing I could do, etc etc...

He actually manages to sound sincere. I'm impressed. I didn't think he was capable of that.

And then, almost as an aside, it becomes clear. Sluggo's relationship with PMv1 has been deteriorating steadily (strangely it started to degenerate around the same time Sluggo produced and circulated a document in which he laid the blame for all of Death Spiral's woes at the feet of PMv1), and in a couple of weeks' time Sluggo is handing back control of Death Spiral to PMv1.

So Sluggo wants to hand PMv1 as big a mess as possible, as long as he can't be held personally accountable for it.

What a freakshow I'm working in.

No comments: