15 November, 2007

Ted E. rides again

Oh, Ted E., you weasel ... there's been some database corruption and I can hear him, over in the corner talking to the database developer, telling her how "other people" (and he helpfully goes on to identify me specifically) use the database tables to search for and extract data that isn't accessible through the default reports are available (or, as he puts it, I "go in and change the design of the database").

"But I only ever use the reports you've given us, because I know that it's dangerous to look at the tables."

Yes, Ted E., data can be corrupted simply by looking at it. I'll be sure to keep that in mind the next time you ask me to find information for you that isn't available to you through the safe reports.

Fortunately, the database developer actually understands her work and, moreover, recognises when Ted E. is simply trying to pre-emptively pass blame on to someone else when it isn't even clear that there's anything to blame anyone for in the first place.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you miss your original Cow-orker?

I have been a long time stalker/fan of yours. You make me giggle.

Me - trying to sleep on the bus station bench, pleading with you to give me a cigarette; you - choking on my odor, tripping over your feet trying to get away; at the last moment, our eyes meeting. Yours were blue. Can I have a dollar?

Anonymous said...

Ah. Schadenfreude. A lovely feeling. Puts ones own troubles in perspective, somewhat.

Argh said...

Perhaps surprisingly, I do miss the original Cow-orker occasionally - I've spoken to her several times through the year, and she seems to have mellowed quite a lot. Plus she actually had a sense of humour, which is more than can be said of Ted E.